200 South Street Inn History
200 South Street's part in Charlottesville history began In 1856, when James Woods, a local builder, completed the larger of our two houses. He then sold the property to Thomas Jefferson Wertenbaker, the son of Thomas Jefferson's close friend, and the University of Virginia's first librarian, William Wertenbaker.
The house changed hands in 1882. Another distinguished family, the Valentines, moved in. Mr. Valentine was a prominent businessman with interests in a bank, the cable car company, and the woolen mills here in Charlottesville. At this time the main building was the only building located on the block. The photograph in your room is the house as it was in 1903 when the Valentine family occupied it. Most of the original furnishings are in the Valentine Museum in Richmond, Virginia. Mrs. Irene Valentine, whose husband Vinton was born in room 9 (the portrait of the young boy in room 9 is Vinton, age 3, painted by his older sister in 1888), resided on Park Street here in Charlottesville, Virginia, until recently. The Wertenbaker house took an interesting turn later when it became a girls finishing school, then a boarding house, and at one stage, a brothel (known legally in Virginia as a 'Bawdy House').
The two homes, both dignified charlottesville properties, fell into relative despair over the years. Our main building was used as a boarding house, initially for University students and other young men, and later for even more unsavory types.
The historic district homes were bought in 1984 from 'Blind Jennie' Donaldson, who ran the boarding house and lived in what is now our second, smaller building.
Brendan and Jenny Clancy currently own the Inn. They became involved with the Inn in 1991 and bought the Inn in January 1995. The original partners were Dale and Lila Critz, the initial backers of the project and the people responsible for the collection of antiques; William Massie Smith, a prominent local resident; Ed Ludwig, our consultant from Tenant's Harbor, Maine; V.G. Sullivan, our construction engineer; Tom Hickman, our developer; Tom Brannock, our real estate agent; and Steve and Cynthia Deupree, our architects.
The 200 South Street Inn was completed and opened for business in April 1986. When you come to the Inn, be sure to look at the scrapbook in the library for a pictorial history of the construction and renovation of this historic bed and breakfast. We also have two scrapbooks showing the Inn's antiques and a brief history of each piece.